Friday 29 February 2008

The letter home from trenches

Dear Molly,
I can't wait till I come back from the war
How are you? How is big Joe? How is Mother? How is the little one?

I am fine Tommo is fine we are all OK, we are missing you we will be back soon.

I know you and mother have heard lots of rubbish from the newspapers but it is not true that does not happen around where we are living. We are ok it is fine.We are living in trenches and we put barred wire up so when the Hun come they can't walk straight in. Anyway if they do we have something called bayonets they are like guns but they have a very sharp knife at the front so if the opponent is close they will get stabbed.

The landscape is terrible there is mud all over even in the trenches where we sleep. At first the training camp was good but now it is only a bit worse. We have these whizzbangs that we throw out of something like a cannon that goes to the Hun's side and explode there. How is stuff there How is the terrible colonel and wolf woman? i hope they rot to death. Bye i will be back soon.

I can't wait until the baby is born.

LOVE CHARLIE XXXXXXXX

1 comment:

Miss G said...

Strength: This is a very good letter Annas. I like your opening as I think Charlie would be very concerned for people back home. I also like your decision to comfort Molly by not telling her the whole truth. I'm pleased by your use of vocabulary linked to the war; bayonet, whizzbangs, etc. Your informal style sounds very much like Charlie and how he would write to his wife, Molly.

Targets: Good use of hyperlinks, although your first link is about World War Two, not World War One. I think your feelings about the Colonel and Wolfwoman are a bit strong as they would be the least of Charlie's problems in the trenches.